My good friends at Slow Food DC have asked me to be the speaker at their Down South dinner, hosted by executive chef, Brian Yearly at Georgia Brown’s, located at 950 15th Street, NW (between I and K Streets, NW) Washington, DC 20005 . Here’s the post from their blog with a link: http://www.slowfooddc.org/down-southdinner-and-presentation-on-foodways/ I hope to see you there! I will have books and my Antebellum Barbecue Rub for sale before and after the presentation.
DOWN SOUTH:Dinner and Presentation on Foodways
Learn about our Southern heritage and enjoy a truly delicious Southern meal on Sunday, October 2, 6:30 p.m at Georgia Brown’s, 950 15th St., NW, Washington, DC. Tickets for the dinner and presentation on African America Foodways cost $50 for Slow Food members and $55 for non-members will be available for advanced purchase on Eventbright.
Guest speaker, Michael Twitty is a recognized food historian, community scholar and living history professional of African American food and folk culture. His website https://afroculinaria.wordpress.com/ is devoted to the preservation of historic African American foods and foodways. He has conducted classes and workshops, written curricula and educational programs, giving lectures and performed cooking demonstrations for over 100 groups, including the Smithsonian Institution, Colonial Williamsburg, Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello, Library of Congress, and the Oxford University Symposium on Food and Cookery. He has done research about African American heirloom crops, open hearth cooking, heritage breed meats, and wild flora and fauna utilized by enslaved Africans and their descendants. His book, Fighting Old Nep: The Foodways of Enslaved Afro-Marylanders 1634-1864, can be purchased by cash or check for $10 at the event.
Executive chef Bryan Yealy of Georgia Brown’s will serve the following menu:
- Oyster Amuse; On the Half Shell/Choptank Maryland/Piquillo Pepper Sorbet/Pepper infused Vodka
- Truffled Local Corn Chowder; Corn Shoots/Local Mushrooms/Truffle Salted Popcorn
- Grilled Red Endive Salad; Virginia Ham/Organic Grits Corn Pone/Loring Peach Vinaigrette/Heirloom Tomato Salad/Black Strap Molasses
- Farmers Market Duck Breast; 3 Grain Rice Pilaf/Roasted Shallots/Calvados Apple Cider Reduction/Micro Mirepoix Greens/Duck Cracklings
- De-Constructed “Yankee Pot Roast”; Culpeper Farms Grass Fed Beef/Potato Parsnip Pure/Baby Vegetable Mirepoix/Rosemary Burgundy Jus/Crispy Fried Kale
- Lemon Meringue Tartlet; Lemon Curd/Burnt Lemon Meringue/Nunda Orchard Cherry Ice Cream/Chicory Chocolate Ganache/Lemon Short Bread
0 comments on “Sweet Georgia Brown’s Here I Come!”