Preheat oven to 375.
2.5 pounds of chicken wings, drumettes separated from wing portion and tip if possible
2 tablespoons of West African wet seasoning
2 tablespoons of light brown sugar, Demerara sugar, turbinado sugar, coconut sugar or palm sugar.
1 tablespoon of suya spice
2 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup of water
3 tablespoons of canola oil and the juice of three fresh limes
1/2 cup of natural peanut butter, no sugar or salt added if possible
3 thinly sliced scallions for garnish and flavor and sesame seeds (benne) if you like.
1. Combine all ingredients except scallions in a large bowl and add chicken and coat. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 3 hours.
2. Prepare a long flat roasting pan bt covering the bottom with parchment paper or foil. Add the chicken and bake uncovered for 45 minutes or so until juices run clear.
3. Remove wing pieces and toss in a clean bowl with cut scallions.
4. Serve on another platter and watch them disappear!
one teaspoon each: garlic powder, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, chili powder, paprika, ground nutmeg, onion powder, black pepper, sea salt, ground allspice, smoked paprika, ground cayenne, 1 crushed Maggi cube.
West African Wet Seasoning
- 1-inch piece of roughly chopped fresh turmeric or 2 teaspoons of powdered turmeric
- 1/2 bunch roughly chopped flat leaf or curly parsley (not cilantro)
- 2 stalks roughly chopped celery stalks, leaves and all
- 3 sliced green onions
- 7 cloves smashed fresh garlic
- 2 roughly chopped fresh shallots
- 1 small sliced red onion
- 1-inch piece of roughly chopped ginger
- 1 small Scotch Bonnet pepper (spicy), or 1 medium chopped up red bell pepper stem removed (not spicy)
- 1 crushed small Maggi cube
- 1 tablespoon of canola oil
- Using a food processor add all ingredients and pulse until the mixture is fully pureed. Scrape down sides, and process again. Repeat until it is more or less smooth.
- You can prepare in large batches and freeze them in ice cube trays or freeze in snack bags in amounts of 2 inches each. After the ice cubes of rub are frozen, remove the cubes from the trays and store in snack bags.